Bowls Over Plates: Chickpeas, Tomatoes, and Indian Spices
March 17, 2012 Leave a comment
Sorry for the lack of a picture of my actual meal, but I’m traveling and forgot to bring my adapter thing to upload photos.
1) Cook a chopped onion, chopped ginger root (tablespoon or so), and several cloves of chopped garlic in two tablespoons of olive oil for 5 minutes over medium heat.
2) Add a teaspoon each of powered cumin, turmeric, coriander, and curry power, as well as 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder or red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
3) Add chickpeas--I used canned. Let cook for 5 minutes then add canned chopped tomatoes (about 1/2-3/4 of can is ideal). Also add tablespoon of tamarind paste (or juice of one lime) and cook until everything thickens (add a little tomato paste to help this process if you like–should take about 7 -10 minutes).
4) Serve over basmati rice and garnish with healthy pinches of chopped cilantro, sea salt, and toasted cashews (my favorite).
5) As you enjoy this meal, consider–if you already have not–going vegan. It’s good for us, good for the environment, and good for animals.
Note: this meal does especially well with a high-end IPA beer, or two.